Thursday, July 30, 2020

I've Been Employed at FedEx for Three Years

...I have officially been employed at FedEx Express for three solid years with near perfect attendance. In fact, I was recently paid for my week of sick time that I did not use last year, a MAJOR accomplishment, given that numerous employees have quit after working a single day due to the extremely laborious nature of the job (I have very seldom called off work at any job I've ever had)... 

I erupted into laughter when my daughter shared that her friend's parents both returned home limping and quit after working here a day. I have lost a total of 37 pounds without seriously dieting, thanks to FedEx. I did recently join Weight Watchers and lost a few pounds in the program. 

I stopped counting points because I have been so busy. I'm planning to get back on course to finish losing the remnant of the 60 pounds that I gained when I returned to Memphis from Atlanta, where I was very active (I routinely walked across the campus of Georgia State University where I was in attendance juxtapose the very physical job that I had at the Georgia World Congress Center).  


I shared many pointers for improving FedEx in my previous been-with-the-company-three-months post. My ideas center around facilitating FedEx processes and employees' jobs, changes that would enable climate control in areas like West Non-con, etc. 

I have had the opportunity to work in East and West matrix scanning freight since penning my first post on my FedEx experience. My mind immediately went to work while adjusting to the new tasks, which have included clearing jams in the scanners. One of the first things I realized is that these areas are much better ventilated than downstairs, or there is a better circulation of air in these areas, where each work spot is equipped with extended air and heating vents that are readily adjacent to employees. Though there are air and heating vents in West Non-con downstairs, they are not readily adjacent to employees to really have an impact. 

                           

Air and Heat Extenders in West Non-Con, etc.

Air and heat extenders that would deliver air and heat directly to employees should be added to the vents above the conveyor belts in West-non con and similar areas downstairs where employees are most vulnerable to extreme heat during hot seasons and extreme cold during winter and other cold months. Extenders for the noted vents may have to be customized, and should each contain a splitter that would deliver air and heat to employees on both sides of each conveyor belt...

Eliminating Traditional East and West Matrix

Traditional east and west matrix where freight scanning processes occur or the employment positions there can be wholly eliminated, considering that freight can and should be appropriately set on the path to scanning at initial input. The stated path would not necessarily have to be leveled, and it could be curvaceous, for space-saving. Specifically, the slope down which freight is sent to employees in East and West matrix would have to be eliminated because it is the slope that disrupts the flow of freight from initial input to scanning... 

Another item that I did not address in the stated post because it was not an issue at the time is that of our new high visibility uniforms being susceptible to permanent highly visible stains, which looks very unprofessional. These particular uniforms, in reality, are not designed for employees who routinely handle freight. 

A better solution would be to incorporate reflective stripes like those on the old FedEx coats that can be seen from afar and/or other reflective designs into all traditional navy blue FedEx uniform items (hoodies, t-shirts, etc.). Wearing lighter colored FedEx uniform shirts is acceptable, of course, for employees who manage to keep them clean. 



Entering my fourth year at FedEx, I'm not certain what the future holds. I can say that I plan to continue giving my best and making a more substantial impact by formally sharing my ideas for improving the company and maybe being involved in that process. 

I received this Happy FedEx Anniversary card in the mail from Mr. Jeff Tallman, Vice President of World Hub Nights. I feel special. Thanks Mr. Tallman!

No comments:

Post a Comment