Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Transportation Assistance for Job Seekers/Employees

...I responded to a comment or rather a prayer request from a lady in one of the Facebook groups of which I'm a member. Her car broke down on her and she has no way to get to and from work, with children to provide for juxtapose her bills. I relayed information to her that I thought would be helpful, information that I'll re-state here for others it might help. Certainly, anyone who desires to work should be capable of doing so; transportation to and from a job should never be an issue...

I'll additionally suggest initiatives and/or improvements to existing initiatives that would save the day for many employees and job seekers struggling with the same issue. I've planned to address the issue of need for transportation assistance for employees for some time. Now is the perfect time. This lady's articulated experience served to hasten my address of the issue...

First, I asked if this lady lives on a bus line. I made the suggestion that if she does and if it is practical to consider taking a city bus to and from work. This is not a preferred option for many if not most. It could make the difference between employed and unemployed in certain instances, however. I further suggested that she consider the options of taking an Uber or Lyft, taxi, or carpooling.

Potential issues where taking a city bus, Uber or Lyft, taxi, and perhaps carpooling in certain instances are concerned are that there are no guarantees that either would be routinely available or that they could get an employee to work on time. 

Another issue is the fact that Uber and Lyft periodically and unreasonably inflate their charges for transports during "busy" or what they consider inconvenient times. The price inflation should be unlawful; a transportation provider being busy and inconvenienced at any given time is a reasonable expectation... 

...Where city buses are concerned, they should run earlier in the morning, i.e. perhaps as early as 5:30 a.m. on each line or at least those that run near major companies with start times that this would benefit. Where taxis are concerned, they, like Ubers and Lyfts, should be perpetually available...

Company Shuttles

...Companies would ideally have shuttles that would transport employees who are in need of transportation to and from work. Certain companies already do; these transports are typically complimentary. Companies could charge employees conservative fees for this service, however, i.e. $10.00 per day (round trip) or $50.00 per week. This is significantly less than what one would pay for an Uber, Lyft, or a taxi; shuttles could be significantly profitable to companies, however, where numerous employees would utilize this service... 

...I additionally discussed the fact that there are programs, like TANF or Families First, in certain areas that pay or are supposed to pay for car repairs for clients. I pointed out that one can be employed in TANF/Families First. The problem with the stated programs is that, at least in certain cases, they do not actually provide vehicular repair assistance and should, especially where enabling a client to get to and from work is concerned...

I discussed the option of trading in broken down cars as down payments on others that are reasonably priced and in good condition. I am currently purchasing a 2015... Nissan Sentra for $220+ per month. I have heard of others paying significantly less than this for decent used cars. 

The other thing I suggested was that the subject lady should enroll in CarShield once she gets her car fixed or gets another one. This could supplement or supersede any existing or lapsed service warranty on her vehicle and guarantee repairs in the event of any vehicular breakdown. I'm personally enrolled in Carshield for the reasonable price of $126.00 per month...

Lastly, I discussed the need for this lady to acquire employment that pays enough to meet her seen and un-forseen expenses and/or that she acquires a part-time job that would supplement her income, at least for any period of time that it would take her to accumulate sufficient savings. I mentioned further that a work from home opportunity might be ideal for her... 

I neglected to mention online lenders like CashNetUSA.com and Speedycash.com that can be very helpful in terms of acquiring loans (for emergencies) that can be incrementally re-paid. Definitely re-pay these loans to protect your credit and because it's the right thing to do; these are wonderful resources that should never be abused... Pay extra into the principle to more rapidly re-pay these loans and to curtail accrual of interest that you would otherwise pay...I neither mentioned that this lady should get unemployment via her local Department of Labor if she loses her job and until she is capable of acquiring and attending another one and that she should get child support for each of her children (I'm discussing pointers for helping those who pay child support with living expenses (residential and transportation, etc.). 

I reminded this lady of how much her children are depending on her for provision and how she should never give up. I encouraged her to pray and act, and I encourage anyone else experiencing a similar ordeal to do the same. I'm a living witness that God does answer prayer. He has provided for me and my children when there appeared to be no way, and He'll provide for all who seek and ask...

Click here for a bit of encouragement for those of you who are in need.


No comments:

Post a Comment